31.3.05

the goblet of red Mortel

it was a friday night;
expecting nothing, i stared outside right by the window of a second-floor room.
about a few meters behind me, a glass door opened.
with it came a waft of burnt goat.
curiously, i stood up and went to the table.
mind you, it smelled good, but looked horrible.
bones of shank and rib were laid upon neatly on a tray.
sunned-up bones, that is.
yet, the temptation was too hard to resist, soi took a saucer, tore off a few chunks, and went to a smaller table.
in that table was seated three guys, all of them about 4 years older than i.
since that table was meant for four, i joined the fray.
in a few moments, i felt like being in a barhouse.
the guy who was facing me was offering a glass filled with red liquor.
that wine came from a bottle positioned in the middle.
the gold embossed words were sparkling right in my eyes: Mortel.
filled with vigor, i persuaded them to give me some of that liquid.
after a half-minute of debate, they gave in and handed me a glass half-full.
"wala namang mangyayari eh." i confidently told them all...
and gulped the liquid in a span of three seconds.
then the most funny thing happened -
something in my ribs was tickling my internal parts with rising heat;
rising heat... which formed a pinkish color up to my forehead.
next thing, they were doubled up in laughter.
the effect was instantaneous; i felt dazed.
"alis lang ako sandali, punta ako sa kabilang kwarto..." i addressed to the group.
"sige, sweet dreams!" said one, and laughed again.
walking about ten feet, i found a very neat sofa unoccupied.
so i sat down. immediately i was dissolved into darkness.
five hours later, someone was struggling to wake me up.
"hoy, uuwi na tayo!" said my father.
still dazed, i staggered to sit back again.
i had slept for five hours.
staring at my father, i saw my reflection in his spectacles...
...and a very noticeable pink tic in the cheek.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home