27.2.05

before the rose...

(js prom '05 : 1st of 4 parts)
"gab, gising na! male-late k na naman!" came my mother's frantic raving.
startled, i carried my body up to level... five o'clock.
now, that thing isn't lying. i've got thirty minutes.
sluggishly i started to the bathroom.
"bilisan mo ha!" again, my mother, with the usual menacing sideway glance.
*after TWENTY minutes...*
at long last. i tried not too hard to admire my coat.
of course i was excited.. as i looked on my dress, tie, and all that.
five minutes was all it took for me to prepare.
making sure i got all i needed, i walked down the four-step stairway.
"okey ba??" presenting myself before the crowd, while they were watching a james bond movie, seemingly unaffected by my presence until i spoke up.
silence.
"let's go," came the modest reply of my father. and i swear, i saw a tiny wink from his left eye.
back in the car, my mom and pop still had the opportunity to get a talk.
"aircon ba dun? malaki ba yung lugar? sino date mo? yiii!" as a series of questions hacked my mind. i only nodded in answer.
the Gazebo Royale was not such a far-off place - but the traffic was there, as usual, worsened by about fifty cars making a beeline for the entrance.
"mag-enjoy ka ha." there weren't much comments heard - i suppose my parents liked the place.
bading farewell, i went out of the car.
there were a lot outside. waiting for something, i didn't know.
when i found out that i wasn't late, i let out a good sigh of relief and presented my guest pass.
the entrance ceremonies had already started, as lines going to the hall were formed. moments later i found my place in the line.
i then took a glance at the hall. quite spectacular - there was a large video screen at top, showing each pair enter one by one. and there were coolers which sprayed ice. it was a mere blur, though, for i didn't have my glasses (or, say, did i have one?)
"loren! may dala kang salamin??" i asked a friend. "wala eh, bakit di mo sinabi... ang gwapo mo pa naman ngayon!" came the part-flattery from her. i gestured a wink in acknowledgment and went to the one next in line - "anna! mei salamin ka na dala?" "wala eh! pero si cleo meron.." she answered as she opened her purse and "conjured" a pair of glasses. "hiramin mo na lang sa kanya..." thanking her, i went to the person in detail - "cleo! pahiram ng salamin ha.. sabihin mo na lang pag gagamitin mo na.. salamat!"
suddenly, things went clearer. and i saw everything as beautiful and elegant. everything.
as i walked back to my place.. "hi gab!!" a sweet greeting reached my ears. i turned back - and there she was, wearing an simple orange dress; yes, simple. :D . my - she's gorgeous.. really... :D stunned and speechless, i waved in return, nothing to give back due to awe... but a smile she didn't see, i hope.
about a minute later, we were in the hall. after a good dose of standing up and shortened speeches, there was the final exchange ceremony; we give a candle, our counterparts a rose.
"you may now proceed to your respective tables," a master of ceremony announced. "enjoy your dinner."
before doing that, however, i went to a friend, alfredo.
"may corsage kang nabili?" reminding him of earlier planned things.
"tol, si ronald lang nakabili eh. pero ayos lng yun.. it's the thought that counts.. dba?" was his somber response.. but he was right about it.
so i approached the dinner table, holding the rose, making my highly intelligent mind work (not that hard, though..) and took a knife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home